Sunday, October 8, 2017

Marjorie's House




















Visited Marjorie Rawling's house in Cross Creek last winter with my sister and her husband. Had a most wonderful time being at her farm which is much like it was 60+ years ago. I decided that when I retire I would volunteer and become a docent. I could continue my love of telling stories!
Flash ahead to Retirement.
Serendipitously, the park needed 1940's style dresses for their employees and volunteers. It is a living history park. I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY GOOD FORTUNE! I spent hours on research and then figured out how to make dresses that would be useful and not fussy! The farm woman at that time had no time for fussy. I learned about feedsack clothing and the actual work of clothing a family before mass produced clothing became available.
I settled on the Dottie Angel Simplicity 1080 pattern with 1940's details. I made 4 for myself as an experiment and then 3 for the park with 3 - 4 more to come. Plus I made custom dresses for 2 hardworking employees at the park. AND my sister made a lovely dress from an authentic pattern from the time using vintage reproduction fabric.
I started my docent training on Friday.
Am reading Cross Creek.
Am enchanted.

No comments: